Moving out of your rental property? You’ll need to give it a thorough clean before handing the keys back over. Whilst this may not sound like fun, leaving you property looking spick and span will certainly help with receiving your bond back.
Here are 25 end of lease cleaning tips to help ensure your property manager and landlord is happy with the way you’ve vacated your rental property.
General Cleaning Tips
1. Clean from top to bottom, back to front and left to right. Having a systematic process will help.
2. Keep all your cleaning products and materials in one bucket, this will help you clean faster.
3. Always do a dry clean, i.e. dusting, sweeping, etc., before wiping with a damp cloth or mopping.
4. Remove all traces of pets if applicable. You may even need to fumigate the property.
Exterior Cleaning Tips
5. Thoroughly clean every exterior surface from the outdoor chairs to the BBQ.
6. Mow the lawn, tidy the gardens and sweep the patio/deck.
7. Remove dust and cobwebs from walls, eaves and window sills.
8. Clean all outdoor lighting and replace any bulbs that have blown.
9. Empty and wash the bins.
Interior Cleaning Tips
10. Empty all wardrobes, shelves, cupboards and drawers then give them a thorough dust before wiping and disinfecting.
11. Dust and wipe clean architraves, skirting boards and doors. Don’t forget to clean out the tracks.
12. Use glass cleaner to clean all glass inside the house/apartment, including mirrors.
13. Clean the vents on the air conditioner, if applicable, and make sure the filter has been washed and dried.
14. Remove the dust from the blades of ceiling fans.
15. Take curtains to be washed or dry-cleaned and re-hang them.
16. If you have been living in a furnished property, make sure all furniture supplied by the landlord has been cleaned and placed in its original position.
Kitchen Cleaning Tips
17. Make the oven a focal point of your cleaning efforts. You don’t need to use harsh chemicals to get the job done. Just mix three tablespoons of water with half a cup of baking soda and you’ll have the perfect paste for removing all the grease and grime.
18. Clean the filters in the range hood and check that the light is functioning.
19. Clean the dishwasher inside and out, if applicable. Don’t forget to clean the rubber seals and filter.
20. Remove all food scraps from the sink hole and make sure water can freely drain. Use mineral oil and a soft sponge to make your stainless-steel sink look like new.
21. Wipe all surfaces and clean the inside and outside of cupboards.
22. Clean the space behind the microwave, dishwasher and fridges.
Bathroom Cleaning Tips
23. Thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces including the shower basin, toilet and bath. Ensure all signs of soap scum and mould have been removed. Dip an old toothbrush in some bleach to get rid of tough mould.
24. Use a paste of baking soda and vinegar to clean glass shower walls and doors.
25. Polish toilet roll holders and towel rails.
For more end of lease cleaning tips, download the End of Lease Cleaning Checklist from our friends at Kent Removals & Storage.
Source: Information supplied by Kent Removals & Storage